High: °
Low: °
Chance of precipitation:


Monday, April 23 Police Reports

Stamford drunk driving push nets four

STAMFORD -- Police arrested four people over the weekend during extra drunken-driving patrols they conducted using Connecticut Department of Transportation grant money.

They also set up a checkpoint with the help of the Darien Police Department near the border on Glenbrook Road near Research Drive.

In the first arrest, officers on roving patrol observed a red pickup truck swerving across the road and stopped the vehicle on Hoyt Street near Franklin Street, according to a police report. The driver, Thomas Perri, 64, allegedly smelled of alcohol and failed field sobriety tests. He was charged with operating under the influence and failure to drive right. His blood-alcohol content level was 0.217, police said, well more than twice the legal limit of 0.08.

A short time later, a second officer on roving patrol observed a vehicle traveling the wrong way on a one-way portion of Smith Street, according to the report. The vehicle continued onto Mill River Street where it continued to swerve and hit a curb before officers stopped it, the report said. Pawel Jakowski, 32, failed field sobriety tests and was charged with operating under the influence, operating without a driver's license and traveling the wrong way on a one-way street. His blood-alcohol level was 0.214, according to the report.

Just after midnight, a vehicle drove through the checkpoint, failing to stop when police flagged it down. Officers were able to get the vehicle to stop on Courtland Avenue a short distance away. The driver, John O'Brien, 60, of Stamford, allegedly failed field sobriety tests and was charged with drunken driving. He was found to have a blood-alcohol level of 0.132, according to the report.

Just before 2 a.m., a driver whom officers said appeared intoxicated was stopped at the same checkpoint. The driver, Gererdo Mascolo, 36, of Stamford, failed field sobriety tests, according to the police report, and was placed under arrest. He refused to submit to a breath test. He was charged with operating under the influence.

Finally, a 16-year-old operator stopped at the checkpoint smelled strongly of marijuana, police said, and was charged with possession of marijuana and driving after curfew. He was released to a parent who was called to the checkpoint.

All four operators charged with drunken driving were held on $100 bonds and given court dates of Sept. 5.

Additionally, officers working the extra patrols noted numerous cases of cars with designated drivers that had passengers who would have been too intoxicated to drive.