In August 1855, a group of Darien residents got together at the home of Ira Scofield on Rings End Road and formally organized Saint Luke’s Parish.
Besides Scofield, the other founding members were James E. Johnson, Charles A. Bates, Isaac H. Clock, Edward A. Weed, John Waterbury and John W. Waterbury, according to “Noroton Heights: A Neighborhood for Generations.”
The idea had started the previous December, when the first Episcopal service in Darien was held at the Union Chapel on the Boston Post Road.
A New York architect was hired to design the stone edifice with the price to erect the church set at $7,400.
Benjamin Fitch donated the original site, which was 97 feet wide by 150 feet deep. Fitch also chipped in $1,000 to the building fund. The Weed family, the next largest contributor, gave $1,300.
When the church opened for services, Aug. 23, 1857, however, they still owed over $4,000 for the project. The total debt was not paid off until 1863 when Nathaniel B. Weed, who was involved in the hardware business in New York, donated $2,965. At that point, the congregation stood at 60 families.